Monday, July 16, 2007

SO MANY HOMES, SO FEW PEOPLE

According to Saturday's Tribune three developers are looking to expand NewAlbany.

Gary McCartin wants two restaurants, a bank and a coffee shop on Charlestown Rd. near Kohls. I'm sure the people who live in this area would appreciate another bank and restaurants. But he also wants to build an apartment complex with 180 apartments. This area will be called Lafayette Square.

On the other end of town, Riverman LLC wants to build what looks like a small town on Hwy. 111 and Two Mile Lane. They want 200 apartments, 68 homes and 92,000 feet of commercial space.

And not too far from there Brent Schroeder plans to build seven small industrial sites near Eagles Lane. I guess he wants to build businesses for the people in "Two Lane Town" to have a place to work.

Now don't get me wrong, I am all for development but I must wonder where will the people come from to live in these homes? Seriously, we are talking 380 apartments and 68 single homes! The real estate market in New Albany has been rather flat lately. I'm not a realtor but I can see the "for sale" signs all over town in front of the same homes for weeks and even months on end.

Personally, I would rather see the old buildings downtown converted to living space. This would create very cool apartments or lofts and rehab the old buildings at the same time. Maybe if we had something different we could attract more buyers.

But then again, maybe I don't know what I am talking about. Naaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh I may not be a developer but I'm not blind.

Please, Mr. McCartin, Mr. Schroeder and Riverman LLC group, consider investing your dollars in the areas of New Albany which desperately need your help before taking a chance on the "fringe areas".

1 comment:

The New Albanian said...

They don't do it because they don't know how. Such a level of commitment to a genuine ideal eludes them, so they specialize in converting green space rather than adaptive reuse.