And on the local scene we have had a tough year too. I went back and checked out old articles and have listed the topics in sort of a chronological order. I'll keep my comments to a minimum but invite everyone to add their own.
- Flooding was a major problem for residents in several ares of town. The sewers and storm drains were cleaned out and this seemed to have helped.
- Sewer rate increases: We didn't want this to happen but it passed anyway.
- Delinquent sewer bills. Some progress has been made but we still have a long way to go.
- Annexation. Put off another year.
- LOIT tax. Another unpopular topic.
- Historic Preservation, the commission was saved. But we will always have controversy.
- Grant for the S. Ellen Jones/Midtown neighborhood. Dilapidated homes are being repaired or torn down and more local residents are being employed to help.
- Combine the 911 city and county call centers.
- P.O.P. more concentrated police presence in various areas of town. Seems to be working, especially with the 20 arrests on the apartment complex on Green Valley Rd.
- Globe Mechanical expanding and adding 40 jobs.
- The election.
- Bridge tolls. Why can't they just build the east end bridge and see what happens?
- New Albany's Budget.
Here's hoping that 2011 finds everyone working and living in safe warm homes with plenty of food. I know that is not possible but let's see how close we can come.
HAPPY NEW YEAR
NEW ALBANY !!!!!!