Tuesday, March 18, 2008

THE FORGOTTEN NEIGHBORHOOD

I have been putting off writing this article for a while. It was both encouraging and upsetting to read the Tribune article about Carl Malysz going to the Building Commission meeting and telling them that it is time to clean up New Albany.

It is encouraging that this Administration has taken notice of our dirty city and wants to do some thing about it. Mr. Malysz and Mr. LaDuke are to be commended for taking the lead to get people to do something about unsafe houses. If the owners don't take care of their own property this city will do so and send them the bill. Great idea.

The upsetting part is that only certain areas are to be addressed in the near future. Mr. Malysz visited the S.Ellen Jones Neighborhood association and plans to use that neighborhood as a sort of pilot program.

As a west end resident I can't help but feel left out. Sort of like Cinderella without the fairy godmother. I know what you are thinking: get off your duff and do something about it. That is the exact thought that has been running through my head since I read the article. I have been waiting for someone the start a West End Neighborhood Association so I can become a member but it looks like that is not going to happen. We west end residents are going to have to unite and form our own neighborhood association if we want the administration to notice us.

2 comments:

Courtney Paris said...

Shirley, I have a question for you about the West End Neighborhood Assoc. you're talking about wanting started.

I'm confused by this comment:I have been waiting for someone the start a West End Neighborhood Association so I can become a member but it looks like that is not going to happen. We west end residents are going to have to unite and form our own neighborhood association if we want the administration to notice us.


I'm pretty sure that's how all the neighborhood associations have gotten started. None of them have been started by a city official. I know that SEJ and ESNA put a lot of effort into continuously inviting officials and other people to their meetings, sometimes they show up, sometimes they don't.

Good luck with your neighborhood assoc. from the reports of the community meeting at the church you've got quite a few people interested!

lounative said...

I was at the meeting at S Ellen Jones and spoke with Carl Malysz. The thought of working with SEJones is due to the sheer number of poorly kept homes and their effect on the student population at SEJones. I know Uptown has a few as does ESpring St & West End is not alone.

I thought you and a few of the others from your block watch were going to try and get an association going. If you need any help, let me know. We're currently trying to get our 501c(3) and I believe that all of the neigh assoc. need to band together to work with the City for the results we want.

Your email address I had doesn't work, so if you're interested, please email me at serena71artemis@yahoo.com