Friday, February 17, 2012

PRAYER AT THE COUNCIL MEETINGS

This has been as issue for the last couple of City Council meetings, since Council President Diane Benedetti changed the beginning of the program from an invocation from a minister present to a moment of silent reflection.

Personally, I was not offended because I frequently pray silently through the day.  But I did receive several phone calls and messages from people who were offended by this change.  Some said that the meetings have began with prayer for over thirty years and saw no reason to change.  Others were afraid that the council members were giving in to a minority of citizens who profess no faith or religion.  The reason Mrs. Benedetti made the change was that the school children pray silently or not at all and they should have consistantcy.

I have been doing a lot of praying myself, searching for an answer and it was sent to me this morning.  Last Sunday I read the Second Reading during services at my church.  It was from 1 Corinthians 10:31 11:1,
Paul writes, "Brothers and sisters, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do everything for the glory of God.  Avoid giving offense, whether to the Jews or Greeks or the church of God, just as I try to please everyone in every way, not seeking my own benefit but that of the many, that they may be saved.  Be imitators of me, as I am of Christ."

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree that there should not be a formal prayer at the government level until prayer is again allowed in the schools.

As I do not see this change happening, I believe that the moment of silent reflection is appropriate for the council meetings. Those who will fight so hard to reinstate prayer at the meetings should also use that voice and energy to reinstate prayer in our schools for our children.

Anonymous said...

having prayer in school would be even MORE intolerant that at the council meeting. Child have no choice about attending school. Don't force a religion on them.

Anonymous said...

Jesus himself condemned public prayer in Matthew 6:5-6...

" 5 “And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full. 6 But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you."

I think regardless of whether you are talking about the law of the scripture or the constitution, the council is doing the right thing.

Anonymous said...

if over the next 4 years, copy printer and paper costs are $10,000 or so, then it would make sense to buy $4000 in ipads.

RememberCharlemagne said...

Shirley, people who are offended by someone else praying in public or during government functions are bigots. It might be harsh for me to say that but it is true. It saddens me that our council has taken a position of bigotry towards New Albany citizens who believe government without a moral foundation is a government doomed to fail.

What's even worse is the Supreme Court in 1983 ruled it wasn't a constitutional problem and that historically from the beginning of our nation it was a common practice for Chirstians within government to pray before meetings. All branches of our Federal Government do so even today.

The First Amendment helps prevent bigotry.